Sunday, November 21, 2010

Energy

I got up this morning thinking about doing a long run.  I felt pretty good after yesterday's race so I thought why not.  I also wanted to get my miles for the week up to at least 25 and I had 18 when I started out. 

I headed out around 9:15.  The temperature was 64° when I started out.  I had already decided what 'route' I wanted to run, so off I went.  No sooner did I get started did I sense my body was not in tune with my mind.  While I thought I felt good, my body was tired.  I always am a bit slow when I start, so I thought my body would catch up.  The route I picked for today had a couple major hills on it so I knew from the start that I would have to step it up this morning. 

Have you ever had one of those runs where you find yourself thinking that it's ok to stop and walk?  You know, you keep saying "it's not a race, no ones here checking up on you, just go ahead and walk"?  Well, this is what was going on in my head this morning.  On this particular route, there is a point where I have to decide if I am going long or longer.  If I choose the 'longer', then the run ends up being 11 miles.  I knew when I got to that point, it wasn't going to happen this morning.  I made the turn for the long run and not he longer one.

Funny, as I was heading back home, I felt guilty about deciding on the shorter route and took a side street through a neighborhood that added a bit more distance on my run. 

All in all, it was a good run this morning.  And NO, I didn't stop and walk, but I sure tried to convince myself to.  LOL

Til the next time my fellow runners.  My you feet take you as far as your mind will let them!

1 comment:

Michelle R. said...

There's no shame for runners who take walk breaks regardless of whether it's your training run or you're on a race. Sometimes, you just have to listen to your body. Good job though on not walking! :)