Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Run for the World Recap

I really enjoy running this race.  Unfortunately, last year they had a scheduling issue and it didn't happen in Feb.  It ended up being held in May and I had my schedule already booked and wasn't able to run it.  This year, the church got things together and held it at the usual time.  Glad they did!

This was also the second time my son and I have run a race together.  This one ended up being very special.   The weather was pretty nice for a race.  A bit on the chilly side, but not at all cold.  I prefer it being this way when racing.  It usually doesn't take long to warm up.  By the time I finished my mile warm up, I was ready to go.

They had a good turn out as usual.  Probably around 400 runners and walker.  There were a number of the usual folks and it's always nice to see them on race day.   The Runyon's, Aaron and Jeannie where there along with a few of my special DM friends, Kimberly Cothern, Nergis Demirbilek and Lisa Fairbanks.  Another one of them was my friend Andrea Moore.  Andrea has a pretty good pace, so I was set on pacing with her.  I knew this time that my son Andrew was gonna be on his own and that dad was 'racing' this one!  lol

The race got off on time and I initially settled in behind Andrea!  Now I guess I need to maybe clarify why I was gonna 'settle' in behind Andrea.  Lately,  I have been struggling with my endurance.  I haven't been able to hold my pace throughout my races.  So I figured that if I hung with Andrea, that it would force me to hold my pace.  So, that's what I was going to try to do.

After moving in and out of the crowd and around the around the kids, I was feeling pretty good.  I looked at my Garmin and we were running at around a 7:30 pace.  A bit fast for me, at least lately anyways, but I seemed to be handling it ok.  Probably around 1/2 mile, I started to realize I was feeling pretty good.  I had moved to the left of Andrea to avoid some slower runners and then I just let my pace speak for itself.  I pushed on.  I was actually feeling pretty damn good.  But could I hold it?

This course has a few small but significant hills between mile 1.5 and 2.5.  Nothing really big, but enough to make you work for it.  Even so, I was able to hold a pretty good pace.  With just under a mile to go, I found myself running side by side with another runner.  The pace was pretty strong and together, he and keep each other motivated.  When he would slow down a bit, I'd push him forward and when I would, he would do the same.

I saw Andrew after making the last turn and he was running strong.  Not far behind me at all.  I saw Andrea too and she was running good also.  With about 1/2 mile to go, I heard these footsteps behind me and then this lady pushing past us.  She was saying "come on guys, you can do it!" and off she went.  I put my head down and along with the other runner, we pushed our way to the finish line.

When I saw the clock at the finish, it was still under 24 minutes.  I sprinted as fast as I could, but I ended up coming in at 24:05.  I just missed a sub-24.  Those damn hills!  LOL

2 minutes after I crossed the finish line, along came Andrew.  He was sprinting with one of my running friends, Pat Roberts, to the finish.  He narrowly beat him to finish at 26:06.  Not a bad time at all considering the course.

The Winners!
One thing nice about this race is the pancake breakfast afterwards and the awards.  It was no exception this year.  The Runyons, Kim, Nergis, Lisa, and Andrew, Andrea and I all sat together.  It ended up being the winning table.  Aaron won the race as the overall winner and Jeannie was the overall female runner.  Lisa took the Master Award and Andrea took 1st in her AG.  I took 2nd in my AG.  Dave Durbin from Dothan, Al was there.  He is in my age group and pretty fast.  I know when he is there, that's one ahead of me.  LOL  The funniest part of the awards is that Andrew didn't have a glue he won until after the whole thing was over.  Since his time was not in the 'usual' winning range, none of us paid any attention during the time they were announcing awards for his age group.  As we were leaving, we happened to check the times and he says to me, "what's the 'Div' mean.  I said that's your age group.  He says, "mine shows 1".  I was like, crap, that means you won your age group.  We went back in and sure enough, he won his AG.  I was so proud!  And very proud of this picture!

Well, that pretty much wraps up this race recap.  As always my friends, remember, "Real athletes run, all other just play games"!






No comments: