Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Update

It's been a few days since my last post, so I thought I'd better get something up.  My runs have been going pretty good.  It's been hot as hell all over the country and of course here in sunny NW Florida.  It hasn't stopped me though.  I still get out there and run.

This past Saturday, I intentionally waited to go out for my run until noon.  Yep, the hottest part of the day.  I wanted to push my body to run in the heat.  While yes, it was HOT, it wasn't all that bad.  I finished my run at the pace I would suspect.  I took water with me and stopped at the 2 miles point to drink.  After that, I finished the 4 miles without any issues.

I hear all my running friends from other parts of the country and world complaining about the heat, but I think when you live in it as long as I have, you get accustomed to it.  Yes, the heat can be an issue and you do have to be careful, but it is not a deal breaker when it comes to running.

I am still going to the gym and running on the treadmill.  I haven't yet conquered the early morning runs.  I honestly don't know why I lost the mojo!  I usually run anywhere from 3 to 5 miles on the TM at the gym and then add anywhere from 4 to 7 miles on the recumbent.  Of course, I still do my usualy weight routine to try to keep up my strength.

There is one thing I learned this past couple of weeks.  The 'streak' I was so excited about is not the most important thing in the world.  Yes, I was proud of the streak.  I was very motivated by it.  But things do come up in life that are more important then some 'streak'.  I found that out the hard way!  I still feel a bit guilty when I miss a day of either running or working out, but I am trying to keep things in perspective.  I will still set my weekly goals and try to meet them, but I won't stress about it!

I didn't have a race this past Saturday, so no race to report on.  My next race is this coming Saturday in Dothan, Al.  The Critter Run.  It is a 6PM race.  Should be fun and HOT!  There will be a few Dailymile folks at the race.  I'm looking forward to meeting them.

Til the next time my friends, Happy Running!  And remember, HYDRATE!!!

No comments: